Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Product Review: Virginia Olsen Mineral Eyeshadows




Hi there lovelies! If you remember from my previous blog post (Click here!) I received samples of mineral eyeshadows by Virginia Olsen in my goody bag from Ms. Myla of Fabshopaholic during the Glaminar Advanced Makeup Workshop. I know that mineral make up is now fast becoming popular because of the benefits and advantages it gives compared to traditional make up products.  

Traditional make up usually contains parabens, synthetic fragrances, preservatives, chemical dyes, talc, and bismuth which are harmful and may cause skin irritation and are comedogenic.

What exactly are the benefits of the minerals in mineral makeup? I will list them down below.
  • zinc oxide- UVA and UVB protection, deodorizer, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
  • titanium dioxide- UVA and UVB protection
  • mica or sericite- provides shimmer and color
  • iron oxide- provides shimmer and color
  • kaolin clay- soothes acne
  • sulfur- antibacterial properties
So before trying out the eye shadows I decided to research first regarding Virginia Olsen. :) And I found out from their website that their products are "100% natural, paraben free, bismuth & talc free, and pure mineral make-up suitable for women of any age, ethnicity or skin type. Our formulations are calming to the skin, making them ideal for women prone to sensitivities; and being fragrance-free, they are particularly compatible with delicate skin, giving a sheer, natural, flawless coverage. Further, our makeup unlocks the therapeutic properties of zinc oxide and the natural sunscreen provided by titanium dioxide." Aside form eye shadows and eyeliners I found out that they also have blushes, foundations, concealers/corrector, primers, finishing veils, eyelash enhancing serum and brushes.

I love that Virginia Olsen is very transparent when it comes to the ingredients of their products, they specifically list down the ingredients for the specific product. Look at this screen capture of their website!




OK so enough of my babbling, and let's get to the product review! The four colors of eye shadows that I got are Diamond Cluster, Jirbie, Raisa, and Summer sun.





Sealed! :)



Diamond Cluster- white shimmery pigment
I love this color! This is my favorite out of the four that I got. :) I use this as a highlight for the inner corner of my eyes and also on my waterline to brighten my lower eyelids for an instant awake look! :)
Ingredients: Mica, titanium dioxide, & zinc oxide | SPF 19 | Made in USA

Screen capture as a comparison to actual product.
Actual product

Swatch

Jirbie- Blue Green (Teal) colored pigment with gold shimmers 
Ingredients: Mica, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, & iron oxide | SPF 19 | Made in USA

Screen capture as a comparison to actual product.
Actual product

Swatch

Raisa- Purple pigment with purple shimmers 
Ingredients: Mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, & iron blue | SPF 19 | Made in USA

Screen capture as a comparison to actual product.

Actual product

Swatch

Summer Sun- Matte yellow pigment
Ingredients: Mica, titanium dioxide, & iron oxide | SPF 19 | Made in USA


Screen capture as a comparison to actual product.

Actual product

Swatch

The eye shadows are all very pigmented and true to their word a little does really go a long way. 

Swatches on bare skin, with Nyx JEP in Milk as base, with ELF eyelid primer.
I find that the pigments have good color payoff but I think that they really look better on top of NYX JEP as a base, the colors really pop! :) 

With out any primer or base

with NYX JEP in Milk as base

with ELF Eyelid primer
I tried to do a water test  to see if they are waterproof and smudge proof... :)



The eye shadows aren't actually supposed to be waterproof but I just wanted to try it out, and I realized that if placed on top of a good base the eye shadows don't get smudged too easily or get washed out with water. :)
on bare skin it gets washed off easily
with NYX JEP as base a little bit harder to wash off and to smudge

with ELF Eyelid primer does not wash off and smudge as easily

Price: The eyeshadows are priced at Php 150.00 for 1 gram of product. 


Yay!!! <3

  • Affordable- a little amount of product would already go a long way so for 1 gram of product for Php 150.00 I believe this is a good buy!
  • Multipurpose product- it could be used as a highlighter, eyeliner, and an eyeshadow! <3
  • Can be applied dry or wet.
  • Glides on easily. Surprisingly it feels creamy to touch even though it is in a loose powder form, it does not feel dry.  
  • There is a good range of colors to choose from.
  • It is all natural and doesn't contain harmful chemicals- this is good for my sensitive skin!
  • The packaging is sealed assuring the buyer that products are fresh and uncontaminated.
  • The packaging doesn't spill the products as it has a sifter preventing too much product to come out. :)
Boo!!
  • Since it is in a loose pigment form expect fall outs when doing a dry application! 
  • I can't think of anything else actually! :)

Would I repurchase?

YES! DEFINITELY! I would definitely get the other colors to complete my collection...:) Maybe also try out their blushes and foundation. :)

I would be posting a separate blog post within the week to show you several looks that I created using these eye shadows! So stay tuned ladies! :)

 To know more about Virginia Olsen visit their website! Or you can also follow them on twitter @Virginia_Olsen or Like their facebook page click here




To learn more about Virginia Olsen Mineral makeup and how to use mineral make up sign up now for these workshops by Glaminar Make up Artistry to be conducted by Ms. Ana Victorino!


No comments:

Post a Comment